She wants to lead the glamorous life!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Eye Problem

When I was growing up, a popular 'case out' phrase was: "Do you have an eye problem?  If so, you need to fix it."  That was our way of saying, "stop staring/looking at me."  I still feel that way, even today.  Except my issue now is looking people in the eye when I speak.  I can do it when they are talking, but when I speak, I look everywhere but at them.  I have been practicing lately, but it is the most uncomfortable thing to me.  I always feel like the person is burning a hole in my soul.  I mean, I can feel my retinas scorch with heat.  Also, I think in an effort to stay focused on my 'target', I unconsciously don't blink.  Which causes my eyes to get dry.  Plus, I lose my train of thought.  I look off to reach in my mind and pull up and pull out what I want or need to say.  So my eyes end up going every which-a-way, but where they need to be.  I see people looking directly in each other's eyes when they talk and feel amazed and envious all at the same time.  It is one of my goals this year- make eye contact!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I have that problem too but its not extreme. Its normally in the workplace, when speaking to a superior, but not in a social setting. I think that it is something that we can train ourselved to do from what i have read. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have that same issue. I can definitely remember my mom saying stuff like "Don't look a grown ass person in the eye, you are not their equal" when I was a kid. So you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are eye disease which can create serious disorders and those require immediate surgery otherwise sufferer can loss vision permanently.

    eye disorders

    ReplyDelete