She wants to lead the glamorous life!

Friday, August 17, 2012

Pioneer Woman

Several months ago, I got rid of my cable.  I do this every year.  I get cable, the bill gets stupid, then I drop it altogether.  Comcast and I usually part ways with me cursing their gangster nature and them calling their peoples on me to collect my 'oustanding balance'.  A balance I take my sweet little time paying because I absolutely feel as if I have been financially sodomised.  My thought is, I watch a total of about 8 channels, 5 of which are local or the national network stations; so why do I have to pay so much?  I have gone without cable before, so it really does not bother me.  Especially with Netflix and Hulu, I do not even give it a thought. 

Well, in June, I rid myself of the internet as well.  My hotspot had started malfunctioning (probably because I kept it on all day- hey you never know when you'll need to look something up, the warm up time was annoying).  After several days of the runaround, I was asked to send the hotspot back to the Clear warehouse so they could investigate the problem.  During this process, I was told I could either:  A) have my service suspended for 6 weeks and wait until further notice. or B) Purchase a new hotspot and keep my service going until a determination was made.  If it was found that the problem did not warrant a replacement hotspot, because the issue was not their fault, I would just keep my new device.  If they were at fault, I would be reimbursed.  I hated both of these choices, but opted to have the service suspended.  I mean, I am at the Gift's house enough and his crib is fully stocked with cable, electronics and the internet.  After 'testing' the device, it was determined that I was outside of my waranty period; I would have to purchase another hotspot.  When the question was asked if I wanted to start my service up again, I declined.  I did not like the way they handled their business.

Compound that with the fact my old school antennae is ragedy and needs to be replaced (it's complete with tin foil tips); I have been without my usual entertainment.  I live in an old building in the hood, so there are no wireless connections for my phone to latch onto, making Facebook impossible.  Contrary to what most people think, I have not missed any of these things.  In fact, I don't even give it a thought until I tell someone and they respond with shock, saying they 'could never go without' such and such.  I tell them, 'you'd be surprised'.  And I think most people would.  When they ask how do I 'live'.  I tell them I do this crazy thing called reading.  Plus, I have music and I watch DVDs.  Furthermore, I don't sit in the house.  I am rarely there.  I typically go to bed no later than 9:30/9:45pm, so it's not like I'm up all night.  Actually, I sleep better and get more rest without the typical 'entertainment'.  How often do you find yourself up watching something stupid like a zombie?  Knowing the liklihood of that program being replayed is high.  I cannot tell you the amount of times the internet has sucked me in, keeping me up late.  Who responded to that post?  What shoes are on sale at Nordstrom's, Neiman's, wherever?  Where is the corporate headquarters of this company?  What is the latest on this blog?  I had to put myself on a strict bedtime, because I would look up and it would be about 10:30 or 11pm! 

Oh, and let me not forget to mention, I have no air conditioning in the summer!  I know, I know!!  By the time I decide to get it, the summer is over.  I am a true pioneer woman, channeling my ancestors.    My current ComEd bill is a whopping $14.07!!  I can dig it!  Life is good and I enjoy my quiet space.  I do not have nearly as much clutter in my head as before.  The only drawback is, there are some things that are better with T.V. on in the background- like polishing my nails.  Plus, I have to make sure I read current events, since I do not watch the news as of late.  All in all, it really isn't so bad. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, dude, you are indeed a pioneer woman! I like that in ya!

    ReplyDelete